Monday, March 05, 2007

India is the Canvas today!!!

Just when it comes to Holi…it reminds me of the evergreen song …'rang barse bheege chunar waali' from the movie 'Silsila'. And always attracts me to have some ‘bhaang’ atleast in one holi. Unfortunately, even in this holi I cldnt fulfill my attractions!!
But I still remember two years back when I went to a ‘bade logon ki holi’ with sahil (chilli) and annie…there was this free flowing 'bhaang'…lots of colours…and food stall by the side. Needless to say where I was stationed!! And ofcourse chilli had to try that 'bhaang' after going through all the liquor brands available in ‘wine and beer’ shops. But the after effect was really funny when everyone was struck with one activity. I cld hear ppl speaking, “aaj bahut mazaa aaya-100”, “mujhe ghar nahi jaana-100”, and chilli was like, “main Australia se wapas nahi aaunga-100”, and I really pitty the plight of the guy who was struck brooming the entire floor!!!!

When I was in Kolkata, it was a struggle to answer queries on the way Holi is played in North India, particularly delhi. That elderly person found it quite shocking for some reason that men and women play holi together with so much passion. He was surprised that the colour was wildly applied on anyone and everyone. I wld say to myself, “ You’ll never understand”.

That’s another thing that lately even I am not too fond of the idea of chemicals giving me a rash on my face and making my hair brittle. But that’s me. Now. I don’t see a reason why kids shouldn’t be having a great time, it was a great fun as a child and during my teens. I remember my mom’s senses wld refuse to recognize me as her ‘beautiful’ child when I wld come back home smeared with golden, silver and black colours on all my visible body parts. We used to create ‘tolis’ and move around the streets full of ammunition like maniacs. The colour wld take days to leave my skin. There was a sense of achievement, the next day when you go school, if u had the most colored nails and fingers! Even though I dint play holi at all this year, I still purchased a ‘pichkari’ (not for me) with one of my friend, which was fun and reminded me of my younger days wen I wld force my dad to make me buy a new ‘pichkari’ every year!!

The surprising part is that some of my friends especially go to Vrindavan to play holi, though they know nobody there.
“Whom do you play with?”, I asked the first time.
Bhagwanji ke saath”, they said, with beautiful simplicity.And probably that’s why I don’t see why one needs to explain it. Stay away. Or play!

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 12, 2007 1:56:00 am , Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm!! Good one...I completely agree with u vineet!!
i personaly luv playing holi Minus chemical colors n Sleeze which has taken over the Essence of this Festival...

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 8:42:00 am , Blogger Bobo (Gaurav Sharma) said...

achha hai...
magar bhai holi to khel leta...
ganja ram

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home